Tag Archives: Error

SSIS Error – “To run a SSIS package outside of SQL Server Data Tools you must install…”

25 Jul

Background

On a Dev server I have used Visual Studio 2010 to build and test an SSIS package. Having completed all of my testing I have now created an Agent task with the SQL Server instance on the same box, that should execute the dtsx package.

However, when it attempts to execute it fails and I see the error message:

“To run a SSIS package outside of SQL Server Data Tools you must install Move file to Archive of Integration Services or higher.”

In this case ‘Move file to Archive’ is the name of a task within the SSIS package, which is of course, moving a file to an archive folder.

Not the most helpful error message.

Investigations

Running the installation of SQL server (or executing a Service Pack installation), up to the point where it shows what is already installed shows that the Integrated Services shared components are not installed:

SSIS_01

On this machine, although SQL server is installed, the shared components required for Integration Services are not. In this situation it is still possible to run very simple SSIS packages, because ‘dtsexec.exe’ is installed. This explains why I can see an Agent job that runs a package for running backups (created by the Maintenance Plan Wizard) but cannot execute my package.

Solution

Rerunning the installation confirms the absence of Integration Services components:

SSIS_02

I installed the required components and then confirmed their presence afterwards:

SSIS_03

Now the SSIS package executes successfully.

 

SSIS Error Code “0x80070057” in Slowly Changing Dimension

28 Aug

SSIS can produce an inordinate number of error messages and numbers. Some of these can even be helpful and informative.
Generally accompanied by an Error Code, one of the most popular appears to be “0x80070057” and can have a number of causes.

Recently I came across this particularly helpful code when creating a Slowly Changing Dimension:

Error: 0xC0202009 at ‘Task Name’ , Slowly Changing Dimension [14907]: SSIS Error Code DTS_E_OLEDBERROR. An OLE DB error has occurred. Error code: 0x80070057.
An OLE DB record is available. Source: “Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 10.0” Hresult: 0x80070057 Description: “The parameter is incorrect.”.
Error: 0xC0047022 at ‘Task Name’ , SSIS.Pipeline: SSIS Error Code DTS_E_PROCESSINPUTFAILED. The ProcessInput method on component “Slowly Changing Dimension” (14907) failed with error code 0xC0202009 while processing input “Slowly Changing Dimension Input” (14918). The identified component returned an error from the ProcessInput method. The error is specific to the component, but the error is fatal and will cause the Data Flow task to stop running. There may be error messages posted before this with more information about the failure.
Error: 0xC02020C4 at ‘Task Name’ , ‘View Name’ [1]: The attempt to add a row to the Data Flow task buffer failed with error code 0xC0047020.
Error: 0xC0047038 at , SSIS.Pipeline: SSIS Error Code DTS_E_PRIMEOUTPUTFAILED. The PrimeOutput method on component “’View Name’” (1) returned error code 0xC02020C4. The component returned a failure code when the pipeline engine called PrimeOutput(). The meaning of the failure code is defined by the component, but the error is fatal and the pipeline stopped executing. There may be error messages posted before this with more information about the failure.

The behaviour was thus – run it for the first time and the process extracted data from a View and inserted all of the rows as new rows into the output. Run it a second time, when it would check for changes (because the output table now had data) and it would instantly fail with the above error message.

The first thing I noticed was the “The parameter is incorrect”, which is strange because the Wizard created everything based on the details I fed into it – so it shouldn’t be anything I’ve done.
So, as I had created 5 other Slowly Changing Dimensions for other Views and Tables I decided to recreate this one from the start with a very ‘narrow’ table. The table concerned with this particular process was rather wide, certainly when compared to the others that had worked successfully.
A couple of fairly tedious hours later I had a failure when I added the last few columns back in (as ever, it’s always something at the end). These columns were varchar(8000) and there were six of them.
This is where the line in the error message “The attempt to add a row to the Data Flow task buffer failed with error code 0xC0047020” started to look more interesting.
Checking these columns showed that the 8000 size was a tad generous, based upon the data likely to be stored within them. Reducing these to 300 each removed the error and everything worked as expected.

I have no idea what size buffer SSIS can create for this processing but the message implied that it wasn’t large enough for this particular table. Reducing the width of the table corrected this.
It may not be the solution for every instance of that message but in this case it worked and can be added to the list of possible solutions to one less-than-helpful SSIS Error Code.